Shop Power Steering Parts Here:
Power Steering Coolers
1. A whining sound while turning the steering wheel.
2. Inconsistent power steering assist.
3. Leaks that only occur while the vehicle is running.
4. Frothy or foamy fluid in the power steering reservoir.
5. No power steering assist.
6. On rare occasions the pulley on the pump will lock up causing the serpentine belt to not turn. This will result in other components to exhibit problems, like your alternator not charging the vehicle, your water pump not moving coolant through the engine, or your air conditioning to not function.
We hope this list of the top 6 signs of a failing power steering pump give you some insight on what your problem may be. To learn more about other possible reasons for your power steering problems, check out our other articles. If you have a specific question you’d like to ask, post a question in our Ask the Experts section. One of our power steering experts would love to help.
Power Steering Q & A > Signs That... > 6 Signs of Bad Power Steering Pump
6 Signs of Bad Power Steering Pump
A failing power steering pump can exhibit many different symptoms. The 6 signs below are often the most noticeable signs of a broken power steering pump. If you are unsure of what the problem is, it is best to have a professional inspect the vehicle. But if any of these 6 signs are noticed, it could be your power steering pump.